Susan G. Komen CNY is the local source for funding breast cancer screening, diagnosis and educational awareness programs in Central New York. Since its founding in 1991, Komen CNY has granted more than $5.5 million to local breast health agencies and organizations in our 17 county Central New York service area. Through annual events such as the CNY Race for the Cure, corporate contributions and individual contributions, Komen CNY raises funds that enable women to detect and survive breast cancer.
It is estimated that over 5,000 people in Central New York are living with breast cancer. The funds Komen CNY grants to community programs in Central New York have made a positive difference in the lives of those living with this disease.
During the 2015-2016 grant cycle, Komen CNY funding provided the following:
- 12,000+ people with breast health education
- 1,000+ no-cost screening mammograms for medically underserved Central New York residents
- 87 people with breast cancer diagnostic services (follow up/diagnostic services following initial mammogram screening)
- 100+ people at high risk for hereditary breast cancer with no resources to pay for genetic screening – are now armed with the knowledge of their family risk and can take steps to manage their risk
- 64 breast cancers were detected in people who otherwise may not have had access to this life-saving information who are now able to seek treatment
Seventy-five percent of all funds that the Affiliate raises stay in Central New York to fund breast health programs for women who would not otherwise have access to screening and treatment. Twenty-five percent of funds raised supports the Susan G. Komen® Grants Program . The Affiliate invested the remaining 25 percent of net funds in the Susan G. Komen Grants Program managed at the national level. To learn more about Susan G. Komen’s research investment, click here.